The Cali Kid's Blog I'm pretty interesting. Don't believe me, read on.

Happy Ash Wednesday!

Happy Ash Wednesday homies, I hope everyone is enjoying today and am getting prepped for the Lenten Season.
For those that aren’t a practicing Catholic or a Catholic at all, Ash Wednesday is the start of the next 40 days of Lent. Lent is a time that Catholics learn to humble themselves and be more like Jesus, during the 40 days he spent in the desert.

This year, CSA kept up the tradition of holding an Ash Wednesday mass here on campus. There was a pretty good turnout of both students and staff, it was really nice to be a part of. The sun was burning us throughout the mass and many of us used sheets of paper as shade but when the breeze would come by, it was perfect.

I have been attending the on-campus mass for the past 3 years and I would say this was the best, other than the noisy construction in the library that interrupted us from time to time. Overall, it was a really nice time and I was happy that I decided to join everybody out in the amphitheater.

Two years ago I actually wrote an article about Ash Wednesday for the school newspaper, if you’re interested more in Lent here is the linkĀ Ash Wednesday

Thanks for the read and I’ll be posting more often now that my job is slimming down on my responsibilities, YAY!

5 Replies to “Happy Ash Wednesday!”

1. neeshao

I didn’t know there was a service held on campus. As someone who wasn’t raised in Catholicism, I found this illuminating. Thanks for sharing a bit of your culture.

Reply
    1. Andrew Cabrera

Thanks for reading it Neesha. CSA didn’t really advertise this year’s Lenten Service but I recognized a lot of this year’s attendees from last year’s mass. Sadly there isn’t anything on campus for Easter or Good Friday but I’ll see if CSA has any plans for us.

Reply
  2. mloza

I love Father Tom! He’s one of my favorite priests. Are you giving up anything for lent?

Reply
    1. Andrew Cabrera

Ya, he’s a pretty cool guy and has helped me a lot since he was assigned to our parish. Instead of giving something up, I’m doing something. I’ve realized that over time I have established myself on social media and have gained a following so once a day I am posting something my beliefs to help spread the word. So far I’ve received a lot of positive feedback, which is pretty cool too.

Reply
      1. mloza

Wow that is great! Happy for you!!

Reply